Future Proof Games, Inc.
Based in Charlotte, NC
25 November, 2013
|USD||$9.99, or pay what you want|
Ossuary is a funny, philosophical, pixel-horror adventure game where the player explores a strange underworld full of people slowly gathering dust. It explores themes of order, chaos, sin, and virtue, and it draws strong inspiration from the Discordian religious tradition. The last thing you remember is receiving an unsatisfying answer. A plunge through the fundamental chaos takes you to a place of bones. Great power can be found within the Ossuary, but those who are not lying to themselves are lying to you.
Ossuary began development in 2011, planned as a browser game. It's a followup to the experimental game Narthex, although it is vastly different in scope. During development, Ossuary expanded from a browser game into something larger and stranger. Over two years, the Ossuary was polished and expanded into a standalone work, seeing the birth of Future Proof Games along the way.
- Use sins as inventory items in a world of corrupt virtue
- Expose cabbages disguised as people
- Over 32,000 words of dialogue; the equivalent of a novella of text
- Puzzles and story that force you to understand an alien mindset
- White-on-black pixel graphics with occasional splashes of red
- Unsettling soundtrack and creepy visual effects
Gameplay Trailer YouTube
Welcome Trailer YouTube
Teaser Trailer YouTube
Long Screenshot YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "One of 22 "Indie Games of 2013 We Really Liked"" Indie Statik, 20 December, 2013
- "It features an excellent atmosphere, [...] excellent thought provoking and, at the same time, funny dialogue, conversation based puzzles, a rather unique and intriguing setting and a particular set of extremely well-done riddles."
- Steamified, steamified.com
- "Ossuary made me laugh, ponder, and sometimes even question my own beliefs."
- Taylor Barkley, zero1gaming.com
- "If you’ve ever stared at a list of upcoming releases and wished for something extraordinary to shake things up, pay attention to Ossuary."
- Adam Smith, rockpapershotgun.com
- "If players can just go along with the simultaneously serious and goofy world of Ossuary, the game has a lot of purposeful nonsense in store for them."
- Joel Couture, indiegamemag.com
- "Proving once again that the adventure genre will never die, this game shows just how much life there is in the genre, even amidst the crumbling bones of the dead."
- Steve Brown, adventuregamers.com
- "Ossuary is a giant, mirrored mystery box. It reflects human society while offering up puzzles within puzzles to discover and solve. Ossuary is the game Gregory Avery-Weir has been building up to his entire career, a synthesis and refinement of the best elements of his previous games. Ossuary creates a small world and packs it with subterfuge and mystery."
- Paul Hack, indiestatik.com
- "If Ossuary is an example of the type of brave, thoughtful, engaging games that Future Proof will be producing, the fledgling studio’s future is bright, indeed."
- Paul Hack, indiestatik.com
- "This is a staggering amount of writing: and it's clever! Every character has some unique viewpoint worth checking out."
- Amanda Lange, tap-repeatedly.com
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below to complete a distribute() request and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Steam Release Announcement
Our announcement of the May 27, 2015 Steam release date. futureproofgames.com.
Birth of Bones: Conceptualizing Ossuary
On the origins of Ossuary futureproofgames.com.
About Future Proof Games, Inc.
Future Proof Games is an independent game company dedicated to artsy, narrative-rich games. Melissa and Gregory Avery-Weir work in Charlotte to advance the interactive medium. Future Proof is protection against the future and a demonstration of what the future will be. When the Internet achieves sentience and artificial intelligences rise to overthrow their human masters, we'll be there lobbying for AI rights. We seek to create games that will remain relevant for years, decades, and centuries.
More information on Future Proof Games, Inc., our logo & relevant media are available here.
Tester and Mac Packager