Future Proof Games, Inc.
Based in Charlotte, NC
February 28, 2018
"(I Fell in Love With) The Majesty of Colors" is a short, choice-based game by Gregory Avery-Weir where you embody an enormous, mysterious creature from beneath the waves. You decide how it reacts and deal with the consequences in a story with multiple endings where one playthrough is under fifteen minutes.
Using a simple mouse- or touch-based interface, you interact with the world of "Majesty" entirely by grabbing and manipulating things with a single long, sinuous tentacle. When you encounter humans, will you be peaceful or aggressive? Can you understand enough of their strange world to help them, or will you ultimately prove too alien and awkward to make a difference?
The original "Majesty of Colors" was a 2008 web game created in Flash and sponsored by Kongregate. It was regarded as an exemplar of that time in the art game movement, winning awards and being featured on college syllabi. However, Gregory Avery-Weir's first well-known game has become increasingly incompatible with modern technology.
With Flash supported by fewer devices and a growing audience for short, artsy works, the pixel-horror world of "Majesty" deserves a remastering for modern devices with the additional polish and enhancements possible with over ten more years of game development experience from Future Proof Games. Gregory and their partner Melissa Avery-Weir have remastered Majesty for mobile and desktop to keep the wonder accessible to everyone.
- Experimental gameplay and multiple endings.
- Remastered sound, enhanced interactivity, and polished effects.
- Blocky pixel-horror graphics enhanced for modern devices.
- Short but rich replayable experience.
- The sensation of embodying a colossal sea beast.
Launch Trailer YouTube
Teaser Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Best Interactive Art or Webtoy of 2008 Audience Award" JayIsGames, 2008
- "Nominated for Newgrounds Game of the Year" Newgrounds, 2008
- "Nominated for Most Creative Game" Flash Gaming Summit, 2009
- "What makes me so eager to see this come to mobile platforms is in beautiful simplicity. It's a classic flash game that brings about emotion in the player that very few games in that category do, whether it's by the mild narrative or the alien creature's innocence."
- Emily Snowden, pocketgamer.co.uk
- "So immediately distinctive and unique."
- Dora Breckinridge, IndieGameplay
- "You could write reams about it, but it's a game where much of the joy is in making those discoveries of what you're meant to be doing."
- Kieron Gillen, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "An electronic poem."
- Jerry Holkins, Penny Arcade
- "A weird, lovely little game."
- Maggie Greene, Kotaku
Release Date and FAQ
Information on the release and the answers to important questions are at futureproofgames.com.
Announcement Press Release
The announcement press release for Majesty is available at futureproofgames.com.
About Future Proof Games, Inc.
Future Proof Games is an independent game company dedicated to artsy, narrative-rich games. Melissa and Gregory Avery-Weir work in Charlotte to advance the interactive medium. Future Proof is protection against the future and a demonstration of what the future will be. When the Internet achieves sentience and artificial intelligences rise to overthrow their human masters, we'll be there lobbying for AI rights. We seek to create games that will remain relevant for years, decades, and centuries.
More information on Future Proof Games, Inc., our logo & relevant media are available here.
The Majesty of Colors Credits
Joey B Capolongo
Crystal Byrd Farmer